Thursday, 30 January 2014

No running in the halls

They always tell children this in school. And its generally viewed as good wisdom.

But when I know that the train is coming, and the next one will be another long 10min wait, the desire to sprint just takes over.

Now I have enough restraint that I don't do this at the crowded stations, particularly in town as there isn't often the room to weave through crowds without bowling people over. But at the suburban station near the office, crowds aren't an issue, but yesterday the stairs were.

I was tired, I wanted to get home, and was already slightly fatigued from pushing the board from the office. So as I started running down one flight of stairs, I actually slipped and lost my balance near the beginning.

The human mind is kind of amazing as how so many thoughts and decisions kick in all at once, however it wasn't really the slow motion that I would wish for from the movies. It was more like 10 options suddenly thrown up on a HUD during a car accident. You almost hit one out of reflex.

Anyway, I almost saved it. Some quick foot work got me half way down while staying up right, and as I neared the bottom of the stairs, my mind whipped up two options:

a) Keep going with what has been working, or
b) Jump the remaining portion of steps

I went with (a) and ended up on hands and knees at the bottom with a stack of skin missing from one elbow.

The train was still rolling into the station so I had to pull myself up, run over to and up the next flight of stairs.

The whole thing wouldn't be quite as raw if there wasn't any spectators. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment