When I catch the trains in the morning, I've noticed that by the time they reach the station where I get on, the trains come in pairs. There is the express train, and about 4 minutes after, there will be the local train. After that, its generally a 10 minute wait for the next pair.
Now the express is always full. It always starts from the furthest station, and because there is a considerable time gap between it and its preceding train, then more people have accumulated on platforms waiting for it. Now by the time it reaches the station I'm at, its generally full, so most of the time I end up having to wait for the local.
So far, this is all good. Now stuff gets interesting when the bus drops us all at the station, and we all realise that the local has just arrived. Naturally, we don't want to miss that one, as it means almost a 15min wait doing nothing; 10min for the express we can't get on, then another 4 min for the next local.
So we rush for that train.
I've noticed on a few occassions that there are people who rush down the stairs/escalator, sprint across the platform, dive through the open doors into the carriage, and then stop.
Not just stop at their seat.
Not just move down the carriage and then stop.
Not even take a couple of steps in and then stop at the centre support bar.
But actually stop in the open doorway. They do it while they decide to go left or right for an open seat.
So I'm right behind them, and now I can't get on, even though there's room in the carriage. I'll make my presence known, a tap on the shoulder, a subtle cough, a muttered "excuse me".
But I know one day I won't be able to pull up in time and I'm going to end up ploughing through one of these jokers.
No comments:
Post a Comment