You know, if you're going to screw up a first impression, it is probably best to make a mess of it with people who you'll never see again.
A long time ago I decided to try my hand as a car salesperson. Now that in itself is material for many other posts, including the things that led up to the hare-brained decision of trying that career.
Anyway, any city will find itself with a large array of caryards and combined with a reasonably high churn in staff, means that there are plenty of openings for someone new to enter into the industry. In my case, I had quite a few applications out there, and eager to get to my first interview, I was up early and all set to go. Caryards open at 8am, though not because of the eagerness of customers, but due to the various activities that go with getting ready for the day. It also tends to mean that yard managers like to get interviews done early in the morning before sales opportunities begin to take precedence.
I worked my way through traffic to get to the yard in time for the interview. Checked my documents, proof of sales license, tie and business shirt, then strolled in to the showroom to find the manager who I'd be meeting.
The bright administration girl greeted me, then was a little stumped when I told her about my pending interview.
I repeated the name of the manager I was supposed to be meeting, and just as she asked me to wait so she could run around to ask if a manager of that name was there, that was when I realised I'd made an embarrassing mistake.
I was at the wrong caryard.
In my process of getting ready for the interview and making sure I was on time, I hadn't double checked the specific yard that I was heading out to.
Of course, by this time, there was beginning to be a small gathering of sales people, admin staff and their existing managers as they all tried to work out what was going on and who I was. Red faced and apologetic, I excused myself to make a phone call to the correct yard and explain to the interviewing manager why I wasn't there. He had a good sense of humour, had a laugh, and gave me another shot at the interview the next day.
In terms of the people at the first car yard? Well they did have my application on file for a job opening that they had as well, but seeing as I'd made a monkey of myself there, it was no surprise that they never called me in for a real interview. I think my unexpected audition had told them everything they needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment