Thursday, 10 October 2013

Why I chose Blogger

This is my first sequel post, whoo!! Lets see if this gets easier with time. I hate iiNet right now. This may seem reasonable, or it may not, depending on what your own level of exposure to iiNet is.

Some background is this: iiNet is my internet service provider and I've been with them close to 5 years now. All up, the flow of internet has been solid, and that is great, although hardly special
considering how long the internet has been around now, and also the thousands of companies around the world achieving this very same thing to millions of other homes. But iiNet has been growing and they've gotten a bit of a reputation around my corner of Australia as being kind of innovators. Hence I expected better.

Here's where they fell down: In me trying to get my blog going. Frankly, I don't want to pay money to a hosting site, and if you think I should then you've got more cash than me. Not everyone is Donald Trump (does he blog?). As a iiNet customer, we all get 1Gb of space to use for our own personal webpages and this is great. But the iiNet site clearly states that they offer no help, other than just the
basic of getting your content into your personal allocation of space.

Now their help pages start talking about supporting PHP up to version 4 and a bunch of other gear, although with no guarantees of how long it will be there, see this. They also support one-click installs of WordPress and Joomla for their business customers. So when I go in and try to load up the appropriate version of WordPress into my own space and it starts barfing about no PHP service available, I'm rather disappointed.

Support came back with an awesome oneliner of "too bad, so sad". I paraphrase, but the intent of their reply was the same. No willingness to look into whether PHP service was there at all for residential clients, or if a configuration change was needed. Not to mention that their pages on 'getting started' are basically a bunch of links to other sites that are not really helping a beginner.

Nothing.

Well I'm kinda glad I came across Blogger. The URL is a whole lot friendlier and I don't have to waste time handcrafting HTML.

No comments:

Post a Comment