Tuesday, 29 October 2013

The power of illusion

I have a couple of favourite shows at the moment, and both are Japanese game shows. I used to only have one; called "G-Wars" which was hugely amusing to watch because of the characters who played the show's hosts and also most of the contestants had careers as entertainers or comedians, so they were quite amusing in their banter. Each week, the show would get a group of competitors together to face a number of odd physical challenges to see who would come out on top. In a show where teams were pitched against each other, or even competing as individuals, it was actually alot of fun that the competitors were all quite light-hearted and relaxed about the outcome.

Sadly, that show only lasted a season and then ended. The two shows I'm currently enjoying are "Banzuke" and "Ninja Warrior". Ninja Warrior is built around a 4 stage physical challenge course set up on a mountain not far from Tokyo. Each round, takes in 100 contestants who seek to pass through each of the four stages. Failure to complete a stage results in them getting sent home, and these stages are hard.

Really hard.

I look at the individuals who are regular contestants, and those who regularly make it through just the first stage are visibly very fit, and for all the times I've watched it, only one individual has made it through all four stages to the end. The course is really difficult, even leaving olympic gymnasts exhausted and defeated.

The thing is though, after watching the show frequently enough and long enough, a little voice in the back of my head starts telling me "I think I could almost do that". The problem is I know I'm not very fit right now. Not even average fitness, as is testified by my attempts on the monkey bars.

So shut up, little voice. Shut up while I get another cookie and watch the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment