Monday, 28 October 2013

DIY failure

So I posted recently about wanting to improve my ability for chin ups after a rather pathetic attempt on the monkey bars. So I've been watching the various classifieds for the local area as what I want to get is a chin up tower, but these things aren't cheap, even the basic ones are a couple of hundred and considering my track record in losing interest, I didn't want to spend that kind of money on something that takes up a fairly considerable amount of space. The footprint on these things is quite large due to the spread of the feet for stability. The second hand units that do pop up in the classifieds have been getting snapped up faster than I can get to them, so no joy there either.

Crawling through eBay, there was an alternative posted which is one of these wall mounted chin up bars. These things are alot cheaper, especially sourced through eBay. Seeing as I'm writing about it here, you can probably already guess where this is going.

Anyway, the bar and brackets themselves are fairly solid, they'll have no problems holding my weight, but its the mounting on the wall that is interesting. Four dynabolts hold each bracket in, and the ones supplied with this kit are actually quite cheap and nasty. I should have just bitten the bullet and picked up decent ones from the hardware store, but I made holes that would take these ones and only got 6 of 8 securely mounted. So my first attempt at lifting myself, and I've got one bracket now pulling out from the wall slightly. Not impressed! I'll wait until its fairly pronounced, which should be when I try and do another set tonight, then I'll go past the hardware store and get new bolts to replace the two which haven't held.

Oh, and in case you're wondering: a "set" for me is two chin ups, and I can manage one set a day. *sigh* I can already feel my motivation slipping...

No comments:

Post a Comment